From 16 June, the goods train company Green Cargo will operate a daily service right out to Norra hamnen in Malmö.
– This will enable us to load directly from ship to train, representing a benefit for our customers who will obtain an overall solution and avoid any requirement for transportation via lorry. This is naturally also a benefit from an environmental perspective, says Ann-Charlotte Halldén Åkeson, Key Account Manager, Port and Terminal Operations at CMP.
In conjunction with Malmö City, CMP has invested in road safety devices and other equipment, thereby meeting the high safety requirements that Green Cargo has set.
– We always try to be as flexible as possible in relation to customers. There is a demand from Finnlines and their customers for an overall solution. We have space in Norra hamnen and the opportunity to grow with our customers. We can offer an effective structure for loading and unloading through a close collaboration with the customers”, says Ann-Charlotte Halldén Åkeson.
She point outs that CMP’s container customers will also have the opportunity to utilise the rail solution.
Green Cargo is pleased to now be able to link Norra hamnen to its nationwide intermodal network.
– Consolidating the freight which arrives at the port in Malmö with other volumes in our network enables us to offer the market a competitive and climate-friendly rail solution with very good lead times between Skåne and Stockholm”, says Richard Kirchner, sales director at Green Cargo.
Ann-Charlotte Halldén Åkeson adds:
– At CMP we regard ourselves as an important hub between Northern Europe and Scandinavia, thanks to our strategic location”.
Antonio Raimo, Line Manager at Finnlines:
– We welcome Green Cargo’s decision to open up Norra hamnen to its substantial and growing nationwide network, which will undoubtedly deliver financial and environmental benefits for the industry and all our customers. We would also like to thank CMP, which is supporting this important development through creating the right conditions, even in such an innovative operation as Norra hamnen.
CMP tries to find the optimum logistics solution. The rail infrastructure and Norra hamnen project entails CMP bringing Malmö City and the rail infrastructure together with the train operator and the shipping company and creating overall solutions which extend far beyond CMP’s terminals.